Tuesday, January 6, 2009

New Year's Resolution

(Insert boiler plate about losing weight, exercise, etc.)

My big resolution is that this is the year of the novel! I'm swearing off short stories (not totally, but mostly) and going without days off, vacations or sleep to accomplish this.

This should work because I'm over the hump with the big projects I'm doing for Moonstone Books and there's no time-pressure on the collaborations I've started with Bobbie and Leah. I've got a couple of other projects on tap too, including a collaborative short story for the next TALES OF THE SHADOWMEN with Micah Harris (fingers crossed on the editor letting us do it), and I need to figure out what I'm doing on project. Thom Brannon's project.

Maybe I don't have as much free time as I thought(!)

Actually, it's not as bad as it sounds and I'm not too worried...not yet any way. My big question is which of three possible stories I should try to develop into a novel. "Yasuke" is an unpublished short story that feels short at 10 K. It's space opera about a shipwrecked smuggler and is kind of a tribute to the late C.L. Moore. "Fox Hunt" is 20 K already and is gothic horror with werewolves and other horrors that was written as an experiment. It turned out better than I expected, and could easily be expanded. Then there are a couple of the Mysterious Dave Mather stories that could be tailored into an extended story.

Then again, there's the novel about the agnostic archangel that's been kicking around in the back of my head for the longest time.

Decisions, decisions...

I think I already know; now it's just a matter of a pile of hard work.

:)

2 comments:

Bobbie Metevier said...

I'll be your beta if you'll be mine?

Can't wait to see what you come up with Novle-wise!

I'm busy too, but it's all starting to slow down.

I am here to motivate you.

Now get crackin! :)

Matthew Baugh said...

Deal!

:D

Speaking of which, we need to get that novel group thingie going!