Thursday, February 26, 2009

Let's Roll Kato


It seems that I can talk about this after all. I'm helping work on the story 'bible' for Moonstone's upcoming anthology of Green Hornet stories.

The Green Hornet was a huge favorite of mine when I was 5, and the memory has stuck with me through all the ensuing years. I was a sucker for superheroes but he was more than just another masked hero. He had (IMO) better gadgets than Batman, and his car, the Black Beauty was at least as cool as the Batmobile. I also really liked his assistant, Kato, who had amazing fighting skills. It wasn't until years later that I learned Kato had been played by the then-unknown Bruce Lee!

This is going to be fun!

9 comments:

Win Scott Eckert said...

Matthew, this is fantastic!

Cate Gardner said...

Go you! Congratulations.

Thom Brannan said...

Is it okay to hate on you for this?

Not alot, or anything. Just enough. Hah!

This is awesome, Matthew. You're working on what, the official canon? Or something like it?

Matthew Baugh said...

Thanks guys!

Yeah, this is the official canon for the stories drawing mostly fromt he TV series but also pulling from the radio program.

It's an interesting process, the publisher sets the rules, the licensor signs off on it, and it becomes the official rules for the writers.

Thom, you can hate if you like. If you do though, I'll have to give you a whiff of the green gas and tell Kato to dump you somewhere.

Matthew Baugh said...

Win's too modest to mention that he is also working on this.

Thom Brannan said...

Dadgum Kato.

You know what always bothered me? When they turned the Black Beauty over (or the other car, the uh . . . whatever it was) ther ewas never an instance of OH MY GOD, OIL EVERYWHERE!!!

Go figure.

Matthew Baugh said...

Yeah, I've wondered about that too.

And (FWIW) is was a white 1966 Chrysler 300 convertible. (We are researching every detail, dude.)
:)

Michelle McCrary said...

Wow, congrats! You know I love Bruce Lee so you gotta let me know when it's available! Man, Green Hornet is another one of those good shows my kids need to watch.

Thom Brannan said...

Does it help to know that the first time Kato uses poisoned darts was in "The Preying Mantis"?

I kind of have the series on DVD, or something. Narf!