Thursday, January 28, 2010

Movies Pt 3: The Book of Eli

This is, by far, the best of the movies I've seen recently. In a future where the earth is barren and only a few humans survive, a man names Eli (Denzel Washington) makes a pilgrinage across North America carrying a book. As it happens, a local warlord named Carnagie (Gary Oldman) has been looking for that same book and the power it can give him.

This feels a little like "The Road Warrior" and a little like "A Fist Full of Dollars" but it's not a copy of either. Eli is one of the smartest and best acted movies I've seen in a long time and explores the power of faith (both negative and positive) is some amazing ways. It's easily the best use of an explicitly religious theme I've seen at the movies in a long time. It's filled with clever twists and left me feeling deeply satisfied. I recommend it highly.

No comments: